My warm feelings for Keaton did not last long. The community of twitter did more research on the boy and found out that his family were racist in remarks found on facebook and pictures of him holding the confederate flag. This made me upset but didn't change my feelings for the boy untill I heard the reason he was gettijng bullied. Keaton in the video said he was getting bullied for his appearance bu tother sources said it was because he was saying racial slurs and saying the n word. I would never think bullying is ok but I wouldnever think saying the n word or being rasict is ok either.
This showed me how a story can have many sides and I shouldn't act too quickly on something I see because it could not be the whole story.
https://youtu.be/koBvI6l8qvk
I wrote my blog about this too! Just last week I came home from school and my mom stopped me at the door and asked me if I saw the video. So sad! I think the media really helped Keaton get through this tough time in life. He received so much support and celebrities raised a lot of awareness through social media.
ReplyDeleteI also heard about this. Bullying is not okay and I felt so sad for Keaton, but I'm not sure how I feel about the alleged comments about his family being racist. The media can indeed spread false accusations, so I'm going to hope it isn't true.
ReplyDeleteI think that this entire event of showing one side of the story while completing lying or omitting a part of it goes hand in hand with Emma Basco's blog post about online anonymity. In this specific situation we see a bullied boy cry and speak about what happened to him in a, as you called it, heart-wrenching video. While I'm not one to make assumptions on which side of the story is true, what this shows is how easy it is to lie or cover up who you truly are online. It's a perfect example of why we should be careful of what we believe from things accessed online because, like the drama surrounding Keaton Jones, things can be easily sidestepped to create a new story.
ReplyDelete