Thursday, January 11, 2018

Week 6 Miss Representation

   In MissRepresentation one of the first and strongest points made was how girls are taught from a young age that the most important thing is how they look. From this boys will get the impression that the most important quality in a woman is what she looks like. When I heard that statement it resonated with me. I have felt this myself as well as in how I notice most boys perceive woman. I remember from a young age desperately wanting to wear makeup, dress up and curl my hair so I could look beautiful like the models in fashion magazines. Never did I desire to memorize my multiplication charts or get ahead on my school work to impress others with my knowledge. My focus was to try to become someone people aspired to be or be with. What I didn't know then was even for the beautiful models in advertisements that standard of beauty is unachievable because companies photoshop the woman into alien like goddesses which we strive to be. This may contribute to fact that 71% of teens by the age of 17 are unhappy with how their body looks and that 65% of teens have an eating disorder.  Magazines aren't the only source of media which distorts out take on woman. In movies there is a lack of strong female representation. Movies imply that woman could never balance home and work. They are either portrayed as a "sexy kitten" or a "witch boss". In movies woman appear to be empowered but this empowerment never comes from their agency but rather seeming to be "doing things on their own terms" while wearing revealing clothing and having men swoon over them. Overall this movie once again brought to light how woman are misrepresented and just seen for their external features rather than what they are capable of. In the patriarchal world we live in, I believe it's going to take some time to transform peoples thoughts from these feminine ideals.

Image result for angelina jolie tomb raiderImage result for before and after photoshop

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 6 free choice

Recently my sister got the letters R2D2 and C3PO tattooed on her feet (she has many tattoos and is not known for making good choices of what...